2.21.2009

Sick Baby

Its been a crazy three weeks!
Charlize got a bit of a cold in the early part of January that just seemed to linger on. We were sleeping with a humidifier, using baby Vicks on her feet, saline nose drops and the bulb. The stuffy nose seemed to be getting worse so we went to the Dr. to see if she had allergies or possibly something else. He gave us a different formula to try (yep done nursing since I've been back to work-bummer) and told us that she's too young to tell if she has allergies so we'd just try different nose drops for now.

Well a week went by and her snorting and rumbling seemed to be getting worse so back to the Dr. and this time she had an ear infection- so an antibiotic to try and ear drops. As the next week progressed her chest rumblings were continually getting worse, she was barely drinking 3-4 ounces when she should be at 7 ounces. I've upped the time between feedings so that she gets enough throughout the day. Our worst fear was that it was in her lungs and we weren't doing what we should be to help her.

So this past Tuesday we went in again and they finally confirmed bronchitis. It is still up in her chest and not into her lungs yet. Antibiotics don't work and we were already doing everything we could for her - now we just wait and hope it can all drain and not turn into pneumonia or RSV. Through it all she's been such a good baby and happy.

Just yesterday she's finally back to eating 6 ounces, still a runny nose and a cough but the rumblings have stopped. ( I hope you know what I mean by rumbling -like when you can feel the mucus vibrating in her breathing). I look forward to he smiles and regular patterns to know that she's feeling better. O, how I LOVE the weekends when I can be with Nate and Charlize all day!

5 comments:

Ashley H said...

Poor Charlize, that's to bad. I hope she starts feeling better soon.

Cari said...

It's so hard to watch your baby be sick! I felt so helpless when Landon got sick. I'm glad the rumblings have stopped, his have too as of a few days ago... love the getting better part!

Maegan said...

Sick kids are the saddest thing- poor little girl hope she feels better soon!

Heath Family said...

That is so rough when little ones are sick. Parker has had the whole stuffy nose thing and Brecken is just getting over that nasty cough (4 weeks later). No fun. Hope she gets feeling better soon. Miss ya.

Kira said...

I'm so sorry she was sick! No fun...sounds like you were taking really good care of her. I'm always freaked out about RSV or anything chest related. I'm glad she's doing better.