10.07.2009

October - is going to be a crazy month!

O my! I have been S.O. bad at blogging - but as I've noticed everyone else has kinda tapered off a bit, so I don't feel as bad. I can't believe it is only the 7th of October and I know this one's going to be a doosie!

On Charlize's 11 month birthday we were at Costco and she successfully drank out of a straw. Sweet! Now we know she can, if the bottles missing we can compromise. When does that bottle disappear? Any suggestions?

She has had bad allergies and each time we go take family pictures they spring up all over again. This last bout started the last week in September and was worse with a warm body temp and horrible runny nose! Urgh, I felt so bad for the little one not being able to breath! Last Thursday (after she refused to drink all day) we took her to the night clinic to get checked out. She doesn't like unfamiliar men so, I was keeping my fingers crossed that she'd be calm enough to check her out. An ear infection and Rx for antibiotic later - the following day she was already 100% better! Yea! We delt with bronchitis last winter and with all this flu going around, I'm not looking forward to it.

She took a step to me, and a few steps to Nate, but has completely stopped. She'll hold Grandma or Grandpa's hand and walk (kinda sideways) but other than that, she shows no intention to. I'm glad - because I know she's a determined girl that will do it when she's darn ready to. :P (where did she get all that stubborn-ness from??? *wink*)

The healthy baby is up to 23 lbs, too.

I have been feeling like a brand -new teacher all over again. New curriculum, new student level and abilities - but as much as I swore I'd never teach Kindergarten - I do love it. It's just the new feeling that I don't like, but eventually that'll wear off. I am also enjoying Reading Recovery and all that I am learning about the way we learn to read and what a complex system it is. Yes, to many we learned to read by the "sound it out rule". But, o how that is SO WRONG! For those with new readers, cross check with meaning (What would make sense there?) or using the picture to help (just a few prompts). ALSO, if you have budding little writers in your midst - PLEASE show them how to form the letters! Not just have them copy yours. I know that its probably easier to just let them copy - but as a 2nd grade teacher we were still desperately trying to fix handwriting, and as a Kindergarten teacher - it is amazing how just a few prompts have changed it dramatically for them. I love this site where 'Spinner' shows you how to form the letters. Really, there is so much time spent in school trying to form those little symbols the right way - do your child a favor and teach them before they get to kindergarten (ok and the teacher too).

I had my first "Behing The Glass" lesson, where I teach a lesson with a one-way mirror and I think I did ok. I wasn't shaking and my ears didn't turn red with embarrassment, so that's a huge plus.

I'm in charge of our school's Jubilee Tree, and thankfully just realized that it's later on in November that I had originally thought. It's been quite a project, so I'll have pictures to show later.

I can't believe that Charlize will be 1 year old on the 28th! I have got to get going on her costume - my first attempt to make a dress, so we'll see how it goes. Don't hold your breath cause it could change if I don't make time for it.

And finally my photography. It's been such a fun outlet to give others a picture they'll love. I so enjoy it, I still spend hours and hours reading and learning. I didn't plan on making it a business, but it has been fun to see it grow and has been a nice to have some money to put in savings (well, saving for a new camera for now). Hey friends in Wyoming - I'd love a chance to come up there in the Spring and Summer and take portraits up there. O! That'd be fun!

5 comments:

Josie said...

As far as the bottle things goes, we started getting Asher off of it not too long after he started drinking milk. He really only got one at night anyways. We just gave him his sippy cup about an hour before bed and had him sip on it until bedtime. It worked out fine for us. He was off of it by 13 months. I think as long as they're off of it by the time they're 15-16 months, that's good.

joni said...

I think Kennedi was done with the bottle around 13-14 months. I remember thinking, how is she going to fall asleep at night??? I guess she wasn't too attached though because it really did just disappear. Things like that always end up being easier than we think. :) I can't believe she's almost a year either, I swear you just had her!
I'm glad you're enjoying teaching kindergarten, that's awesome!

Lyndsi said...

I took my kids bottles away the day after their 12 month birthday! And I just took it away. I know I am horrible, but it was only bad for a couple of days. I just started mixing formula with milk (still in the bottle) and then went to straight milk in a sippy cup. I am glad you are busy! Charlize is so dang cute!

Cheryl said...

I'm glad you love your K teaching. I can't wait to see your Jubilee tree. It will look amazing, I'm sure. Was C going to be Dorothy for Halloween? Too bad she outgrew her slippers. There are tutorials to make your own slippers out there. Maybe if you find some shiny red fabric you could make your own!

Kira said...

Charlize's is getting so big! good luck on her costume...what is she going to be? luckily i found time to make Adelyn's before the baby. glad school is going well, i'm sure change is so hard, and yes that feeling of newness is the worst part of change but eventually it does go away. how fun (and busy) to be in charge of jubilee of trees, can't wait to see it!!