We decided to base it on our character education book, 7 Habits of Healthy Kids by Sean Covey. The characters are woodland animals and I had seen some scrapbook paper that I loved with vintage birds, owls and trees on it so slowly I began to pull it together. I wanted to use turquoise since its one of our school colors and *luckily* the school district had material donated that matched my color scheme perfectly! (Turquoise felt is VERY hard to come by). I also went to the thrift store and found sweaters with the texture I was hoping for (to cut up and use as parts of the ornaments).
My next challange was to figure out how to let the students be involved in making the ornaments. They put paint in the glass balls, helped sew some of the animals, paint wooden ornaments, and glitter the pine cones. I found grapevine garland and other dried flowers for the accents.
Yes, it all came together and I was very pleased with how it all turned out. Charly doesn't even teach at our school (she is an amazing sub and daughter of our secretary) but she was the only one that offered to help me. I am so grateful that she helped me!
It was a lot of fun, but a lot of work. I'm not the best at delegating responsibility since I had a specific look in mind, but I've already got ideas started for next year and am looking forward to being a calmer year to enjoy the process more. ;)

2 comments:
That looks like an amazing tree! That is so cool you did that. I dont know if I could be creative enough to come up with anything near as cool. We hope you have a great Christmas this year, I bet Charlize will have a blast!:) Anyway, Merry Christmas!
beautiful! you are a girl with endless talent, really!! how to you do it all? that is so awesome how you got all the kids involved with the tree. amazing!
Post a Comment