This is going to be a long post just to warn you. . .
Over the weekend, I'd only get strong contractions at night and I'd always have a bad headache with them. Sometimes the headache was strong like a potential migraine but most of the time just strong enough to need Tylenol. Well, my mom got thinking and worrying about it and was persistent that I go to Labor&Delivery to get monitored since it was a Sunday and no one was open, that immediatly sent me into cry mode since I didn't think it was that bad. One of the sweet MA's at the DR's office met Nate and I to take check me out; a trace of protein and a consistantly high blood presure, but we'd been watching it.
Monday I was at school and was uncomfy but ready for another day with the students when I got a page to the office that I needed to call my husband. Turns out it sounded sevier enough to need to go to L&D and Nate was coming to get me to take me. Instant cry mode since it was 9:00 and all my students were just coming in through the door and a complete change of plans. I got there and wished I'd have bet someone because I knew they'd send us home - no consistant contractions and no headache (again only at night). Yep, I was frusterated, peeved, irritated and emotional all in one.
That night I went to bed, starting to have contractions and a headache, but then they woke me up at each half hour and finally at 1:30 I realized that my entire belly was hard-as-a-rock and I couldn't get my baby to move. I tried to remain calm (and get my eyes completely open so I could think) and thought "I'll get in the shower, that'll loosen it up". It did a little but still no movement. Nate was worried, cause I was worried and we figured if we were to go now and they were to send us home, we'd still make it to work on time.
We went to L&D at about 3:00 and my blood pressure was something like147 over 111, but once I hear her heart beat, it started going down since that was all my worry. Turns out, the nurses were worried enough, and my contractions strong and consistant, that not long after I was admitted to stay and we'd have a baby that day. I was still a 4cm and 80% effaced, the Dr. broke my water at 5ish and WOAH! did that change the intensity of the pain. Crazy what I thought I was prepared for took on a different road of pain than I had ever known. I was on Potocin and after an hour or so got that drug (can't remember the name) that helped me relax in between the contractions. By 8:30 (almost 4 hours of hard labor) I couldn't get a grip on the pain anymore and was wearing down, yep I got an epidural. I didn't plan on it but I know my limits and knew I wasn't in control anymore. Over the next four hours I only gave two pushes on the meds, could still move my legs and felt everything but the contractions. When it came time to pushing I just tried to focus it in the right direction but could feel all the pressure, and release of pressure as she came.
Amazing! Unlike anything I tought I'd feel. Here's this little person, a part of our family that everyone can see (outside of my belly). She's perfect and healthy. Came out bright eyed and crying.
Thanks to all thosee who helped along the journey: nurses, Dr.s, parents , friends. Another leg of the journey has just begun, and this time we'll all see how she changes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment